Tuesday, December 20, 2005

me and the mouse: part deux

So with my past history of sticky traps, I knew I didn't want one of those. Instead I opted for the more humane choice of a box trap that allows them to come into the box, but not back out again.

"GENIUS! "
I thought, "This is going to be great. I'll catch the mouse, release it into the wild, and be king of beasts!"

"yeah, ok Sparky, but what's going to keep it from coming back to the house?" my loving and trusting wife asked.

I assured her that I would take it deep into the woods and release it so it wouldn't come back. "Genius!" I thought to myself.

So we bought 6 of these suckers. It was great. I placed a load of White Chocolate Peanut Butter on a pretzel and placed it on the back of the box trap and placed the traps all over the house. Three in the kitchen, two in the guest room, one in our room. Then we nestled in for a great night's sleep. Only it wasn't so great. And there wasn't much sleep.

All my wife could think about was the mouse. She couldn't go to sleep at ALL! I tried as best I could to be a loving and compassionate husband, but there wasn't much I could do. We went to bed around 10:00 and at 11:30 I was awakened by her throwing her legs in the air and taking all the covers with them. Fearing that the mouse was in the bed, she kicked and made a fuss about thinking that something was in the bed. "There's nothing in the bed" I said.

"But I can't get to sleep...all I keep thinking about is the mouse" she said.

"Ok ok, well...everything's going to fine...just go back to sleep" I said.

"I can't"

"Why don't I get you some Nyquil" (at this point I would have given her valium if we had it) I looked and looked and didn't find anything. "You'll just have to relax" I said. "Everything will be fine."

This went on and on until 5:00 when my wife heard something in the kitchen. She quickly woke me up to tell me that something was in the trap. While I was releaved and happy that I had caught the little guy, I wasn't about to go out and look at him. It was 5:00 in the morning. "Ok, I'll get him when I get up at 7:00" "No! You can't! You can't just let him stay there. What if he dies?!" "He's not going to die in two hours. It's dark and cold outside. There's no way, I'm walking all the way out in the woods to release him in the dark. It can wait" " No it can't" "Yes. It can." "No!" "Then fine, if I'm getting up and out in the cold, then you're coming with me. If this has to happen right now, then you can come too."

So with that said, we both got up and dressed and went to look at what we had caught. And there he was, in the back of the trap. All the peanut butter was gone and he had started on the pretzel.

We took a walk down the street to a place that opened up to a field and let him loose. It felt really great to right what I had wronged the first go around with the sticky traps.

(but if he comes back, I'll kill him)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

very very nice.

My first job, I was twelve, was "disposing" of the "humane? rat traps at a local daycare (ew). I think there are child labor laws against such torture now.

Thanks for blogging.

SG

Tuesday, December 20, 2005 7:21:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoyed reading some of your posts Toby Sturgill. I was looking for wine cellar equipment related information and found your site. I have a wine cellar equipment site. You'll find everything about wine, gift baskets, Napa Valley wine tours, and how to keep your wine properly chilled until it's ready to drink. Come and check it out if you get time :-)

Wednesday, December 21, 2005 6:34:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home