Monday, December 19, 2005

me and the mouse: part 1

Last week, we moved our dear, dear friend Lori out of our bonus room and into her brand new townhouse! (yay!) But while we lost one roommate, we seemed to get another. A mouse.

I noticed something in the sink one evening when I came home. That morning I had made a peanut butter sandwhich and I left the knive, covered in peanut butter, in the sink. Well when I got home, I noticed the knife was licked clean and what looked to be black rice was in the sink. "We didn't have black rice last night" I said to myself, thinking the drain had backed up when I ran the dishwasher that morning. But upon further investigation, I noticed that it wasn't black rice...no, no, it was (cue the climatic soundtrack) mouse droppings.

I was very hesitant to tell this to my wife for fear she might move out as well. I looked around for other signs of where the mouse might have been and found his markings here and there. For some reason, I'm not sure why, but we decided to wait a few days to get some traps. Not on purpose, it just happened that way. So every morning I would leave a knive covered in peanut butter in the sink to see if he would come back. The day he didn't was the night we bought the traps. I knew he was somehere else in the house.

**backstory**
When I was in college I had a little mouse in my apartment. He was a quick little booger. But it was time for him to go after a few days (I'm starting to see a pattern here) :-/ I didn't want to be cruel so I decided to get a sticky trap thinking that would be better because he wouldn't die in bloody death. Well, it might have been better if I didn't see the whole thing with my eyes. I walked into my apartment and he was out walking along the base board. I walked into the kitchen and we both startled each other. When he saw me he turned to run away, and in doing that he put one foot in the sticky trap. He wasn't sure what to do, so he quickly jerked back around to change directions and in doing so he broke his leg. Then he put his other front leg in the trap to pull the broken one out, but that one got stuck. Then he put his nose down to try and pull both legs out but ended up deeper and deeper in the goo that became his death. I was stunned. I stood there asking myself how this could be better than a snap trap that was quick and painless. Still alive, I took him and put him outside. He was eaten by a cat. I'm a horrible person.


to be continued...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home