Tuesday, October 11, 2005

"Flightplan" crashed and burned

Good thrillers are very hard to find these days. "Flightplan" isn't one of them. It's a shame too, because it had a lot of potential.

The premise: "A claustrophobic, Hitchcockian thriller. A bereaved woman and her daughter are flying home from Berlin to America. At 30,000 feet the child vanishes and nobody admits she was ever on that plane."--IMDb Yeah that sounds good; I love Hitchcock, but I think even he would have been dissapointed with the ending.

Don't get me wrong, there were several amazing aspects of the film; Jodi Foster, incredible cinematography, several scenes of good suspence, the soundtrack is by James Horner (yay!)

The end of the movie and the plot line just didn't make sense. I felt it was forced and made to work. I think they could have gone a different direction than what they chose to go; one very similar to "A Beautiful Mind", but then again it's been done. At the end your just like, "oh...that was dumb." There was nothing for the audience to figure out on their own; there was no 180 degree turn in the plot (not that there has to be, but it would have been nice); no reveal at the end. I hate to be a little dark cloud, but I think they missed the mark on this one. Lots of potential and missed opportunities.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home