Wednesday, July 19, 2006

The Official Backseat Driver's Manual

While flipping through the current issue of SPIN I noticed there was one of those annoying paper inserts that never allows the pages to turn easily. Naturally, I turned to it to rip it out before I got frustrated (c'mon...we've all been there) But what I found when I got there surprised me. It was The Offical Backseat Driver's Manual from Volkswagen. Wow, I thought. That is clever.

"With tongue in cheek, Volkswagen says: “Being a backseat is not a right. It’s a privilege. And a responsibility. What you will learn from this handbook…” and so on. The booklet is then filled with useful information including the drink to bladder ratio at which point a driver will need to stop the car. (A driver is only good for 30 minutes on a 32 ounce coffee, for example.) The final pages include an exam and official plastic Backseat Driver License. This is more fun than German engineering."-Rich Ottum

This is a brilliant print piece in a world where print is arguably lesser and lesser of an engaging medium. Here’s why:
- It looks like a real manual, authentically poking fun at themselves
- It is based on the realities of annoying passengers and is rather funny
- It contains an “Official Backseat Driver” card you can remove and affix a picture.
- The card is sans logo and/or mention of VW or Jetta brand (HT: The Client Side)

I think the only thing that would have made this better is some online content...maybe a website, or something DMV-esque that's interactive. Although I can see them going only by WOM marketing. The folks at Crispin Porter + Bogusky sure know what they're doing.

Just another reason why I love Volkswagen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home