Monday, November 21, 2005

Elevators Don't Read Minds

The following comes from the sixth chapter in a book that I'm reading called, "The Wizard of Ads":

You stop at the stop sign, but your mind doesn't stop with you. The car across the street pulls away and disappears into the distance. You sit and wait for the sign to turn green. (Don't pretend you haven't done it. We all have!)

I walk alone into an elevator and the door closes behind me. I wait and wait, but nothing happens. After a couple of seconds, I realize, "Elevators don't read mind. I have to push a button."

You and I have so much to remember that we often forget what we're doing. We are the unfortunate victims of overchoice: too much to do, too little time. The problem in nationwide.

I tell you this to remind you of something that most advertisers forget: the customer is seldom paying attention. She simply has too many other things to think about. When exposed to an ad, she knows it there, the same way I know the elevator button is there. The problem is that she's not thinking about it.

Every beginner's solution is to put an "attention getter" into the ad. Bright colots, loud noises, exclamation marks, and crazy stunts are the sad little attention getters most often used. The effect on your beautiful customer is much the same as sneaking up behind her and shouting,

WATCH OUT!

Is this anyway to start a romance?

I vote for seduction.

I'm not talking about using sex appeal in your ads. I'm talking about enticing the customer with a thought more interesting that the thoughts she's thinking. The skillful use of words is the most impressive of human powers.

The mind of the customer is a glorious thing. Every waking moment it is scanning, scanning, scanning the horizon for things of interest. The common, the mundane, the intriguing, the fascinating are immediately spied and examined.

If your goal is to cause the customer to willingly give you her attention, isn't the solution obvious? You must offer her a thought more interesting than the thought that currently occupies her mind.

This does not require shouting. It requires art.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay Advertising
-Grant (this blog is for all SE merchandising dir. of BH it's mostly random stupid stuff)

Monday, November 21, 2005 5:32:00 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home