Tuesday, September 06, 2005

In, But Not Of

I just finished reading my first book all the way through; front to back. Ever. I'm turning 23 this week and that is a pretty sad statement. Sure, I've started books, but I've never finished them. I guess it was my A.D.D. that didn't allow me to ever finish anything when I was younger. I think I only finished one song in my piano lessons; model air planes and ships were started, but never completed; it took an entire day to clean my room because I couldn't stay focused on one task at a time.

Even now, I'm getting off onto an entirely different subject. More on this later.

Randy Elrod,the creative arts pastor at The People's Church, gave me a book by Hugh Hewitt called,"In, But Not Of". It's been a great read. The first three chapters are a bit rough. Lots of big words and history, but the rest is a gold mine for anyone called into leadership. Not only is he a great writer, but he's a great communicator. A lot of people may have something to say, but it gets lost in translation. Hewitt connects with his audience and makes sure the reader gets what he's saying. Even if he has to spend 4 chapters saying the same thing. As my father-in-law says, "Repetition in the foundation of learning. Repetition is the foundation of learning."

Although, I must say there's one thing I don't agree with in this book. Rock Climbing. Hewitt thinks it's a waste of time to be cliff hanging and scaleing rocks, but I see it as an escape from the world. (Although the climbing I do is indoors at the moment) Get out side and go hiking, scaling, running. In the words of the Reverend Mother from The Sound of Music, "Climb every mountain." Enjoy what God has created. Just don't be foolish.

Sorry, Hugh, but Colleen gave me a harness and a chalk bag for my birthday. I promise I won't be long.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home