Tuesday, May 02, 2006

One Week Ago Today: Tuesday

I don't think I moved at all last night. Yesterday was a good day, but today promises to be better.

The morning starts off again at McDonald's. A number 2 combo and two bottles of water, please. The water at the convention center is $3.00 a pop, whereas it's only $1.00 here. (Surprising, really.) So we stock up here at McDonald's before heading back over to the convention.

The bus ride is a little quicker today. Only 15 minutes to get through traffic. Today we are in the TV/Film/Video...building (seriously, this convention is so big that each category has its own building). SONY is what I remember the most from NAB today.

It is the biggest "booth" I've seen so far. They have a semi tractor trailer on one end that shows off their on-site production suite. The booth is on the second floor and the whole time I'm thinking how in the world they got this 53' trailer in here.

What's also cool is they have this live set that they've installed where you can play around with SONY's cameras. They have real people sitting in make shift cafes, or garden scenes so you can see what all the cameras can capture. The peoples just sit there and talk silently to each other or read magazines all the while droves of people zoom in on them so close you can see the pores on their nose. Kinda odd when you think about it. I would feel like I was in a zoo being watched and captured by all these strangers. I would feel like I had to do tricks or something.

Lunch is another cereal bar and water.

We leave a little early today because we have to be at Caesars Palace by 1:30. We are going behind the scenes of Celine Dion! It's an unbelievable tour. Construction of the $95 million theater began in Spring of 2001 and was completed when the show opened in March of 2003. The show was created by Franco Dragone who is the dreamer behind all of Cirque du Soleil's shows like Mystere, Saltimbanco, La Nuba, O, and many others. The tour is really cool.

I got to go up onstage and learn about everything that needed to be done to accommodate Celine. For instance: to better help her voice, her doctor said that the ideal condition for her to be in is an environment where the temperature is 75 degrees with 55% humidity. Yes, that's right. They got it 55% once, but she complained that her costumes where sticking to her and the dancers where more sweaty than normal, so they bumped it down to 35%. All along the front of the stage are vents that pump out air that's just right just for her. We see her green room--funny because there's not on spec of green in the place. Uber orange.

A really cool thing about her show is it houses a really big LED screen. Three stories high and 120 feet across. Unbelievable.

After a sound system demo, Mark gets sucked into talking sound with the Vegas guys. Not really knowing anything about sound, I decide to take my own tour of the backstage area. Everything is so organized and clean. I'm really a wuss when it comes to being places that I'm not supposed to be, so I quickly come back onstage.

We leave the 4,100 seat theater and go to dinner. It is 5:00 and we walk right into The Cheesecake Factory. I have never done that. I have the double BBQ bacon burger and a beer. It's amazing after a long day.

We try our luck over at New York New York. I win $23.00 on the nickle slots and I'm done for the night.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home